Sunday 11 February 2024

Kumlien's Gull- Second Record for the Site

Chris H, our resident Sightings Officer, continues to spot some unusual and exciting birds. 

Gulls! Not everyone’s cup of tea but they can actually create excitement (honestly) especially when a long-distance visitor arrives. 

As the new year kicked off, gull numbers at the roost were already on the increase. By the time the January 11th arrived I had already recorded the commoner species along with Caspian, Mediterranean and Yellow-legged Gull. Earlier in the day Ian Bartlett had found a second-winter Iceland Gull at nearby Shawell landfill site – a magnet for ‘white wingers’. I managed to see this bird just after it was found so that put me on high alert in the unlikely event it decided to roost at Stanford (last record here 2020).
When I arrived at the roost, the light was already relatively poor. Just after 15.30 I scanned some incoming gulls (from the direction of Shawell) and to my surprise picked up what looked like an Iceland Gull. I decided to stay on the bird with my binoculars to ensure I saw which part of the roost it came into – losing a bird in thousands of gulls is easy to do and there is no guarantee of re-finding especially in fading light.
I got the scope on it as soon as it settled and to my surprise realised it wasn’t Ian’s bird from earlier. In fact, the overall appearance was of a mucky, darkish looking bird, with an Iceland type jizz but obvious grey in the closed primaries. My mind instantly turned to Kumlien’s Gull, a sub species of Iceland Gull. I grabbed some video of the bird but distance and light were against me and the quality was poor. Also, there were no flight or open wing shots which would have helped with the identification. I then lost it and couldn’t re-find it by dark. Having shared the videos with several other birders (all to which I owe my thanks), no unanimous opinion of the bird’s identity could be reached.
I decided that it was worth trying to pick the bird up before the roost departed early the following day – a good decision as it turned out! I was on site in the dark and checking through the gulls as the light gradually improved. By just after 08.00 there were only a few gulls remaining – I was just about to leave when I re-checked a small group that was left and to my relief picked up the bird. The light was much better and whilst the bird still looked quite mucky the light was much better than the night before. I decided to digiscope it and it then became restless and took off. I was able to video the bird for a short period as it took off and flew east and from this was able to get some stills to confirm the bird’s identity. 

It was indeed a Kumlien’s Gull, and most likely a second-winter identified by:

    • The outer primaries have a grey/brown wash, contrasting with pale inner webs . Noticeable on the water and in flight as can be seen from the images. Flight views were key to clinching the identification.
    • Overall structure and jizz more in line with Iceland than Glaucous with the bill being bi-coloured and at the Iceland end of the spectrum. Based on my experience I would say the bird looked slightly more robust than a typical Iceland, which often look quite dainty. However, there is a lot of variation so this can be subjective.
    • This bird was darker than a typical Iceland Gull of a similar age but again there is variation.
Kumlien's Gull breeds on Baffin Island and Southampton Island in the Canadian Territory of Nunavut (previously part of the Northwest Territories) and in northwest Quebec in the vicinity of Ungava Bay. Outside the breeding season it is found on the North American east coast from the Gulf of Saint Lawrence & Newfoundland south to Virginia and in the Great Lakes region as far west as Minnesota.
This is the second record for Stanford, the fourth record for Northants and the 10th record for Leicestershire and Rutland.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.