Sunday 26 October 2014

Saturday 25th October

What a fantastic day's ringing we had yesterday! We met on the railtrack at 06:00. A real treat - it means getting up only an hour earlier than I would for work. On the downside, it felt like the session was very short.

We put Latvian love song on all the nets for the first round which unfortunately produced lots of empty nets. The tapes were changed to Goldfinch and Greenfinch and the numbers soon picked up. We managed a very respectable 99 birds over the day including  9 Greenfinch, 8 Reed Bunting, 3 Yellowhammer, 3 Redwing, 2 Song Thrush and 1 Chiffchaff.

We also captured 2 new species for the year which meant two ringing ticks for me - Cetti's Warbler and Green Woodpecker. This was fantastic as I've been wishing for a Green Woodpecker for the 3.5 years I've been with the group and it was the first time I had ever seen a Cetti's so that was also a lifer for me - a very exciting day!










No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.